Adoption Process and Guidelines
Interested in adopting a Lucky Husky?
- Do your research: If you do not have husky or malamute experience, you must research the breed to be sure the unique characteristics are right for your family.
- Apply online: Check out our adoptable dogs and click the husky you are interested in. You will be able to read their bio and apply to adopt them!
- Meet with an adoption counselor: We take adopting out our dogs very seriously. Our adoption counselor will call you to discuss your application and determine whether it’s the right mutual fit.
- Set up a home visit: We will set up a home visit to meet your family and view the environment in which the dog will live, then a meet-and-greet with the dog(s) you are interested in. If you have others dogs and children, our volunteers will explain the process for a safe meeting that sets everyone up for future success.
- Complete adoption agreement: Once you have decided to adopt, you will complete an adoption agreement and pay the adoption fee. Lucky Huskies will provide all vet records and information on registering the dog with your county. All of our dogs are up-to-date on vaccines, microchipped, and spayed/neutered. Most have had full diagnostic blood work to ensure adoption of a healthy dog.
- Age: Adopters must be at least 25 years of age.
- Activity: Huskies need active families who will provide vigorous daily exercise, mental enrichment/stimulation and positive training. Unless you are adopting a senior or special-needs dog, this is a requirement.
- Fencing: Huskies are nomadic by nature and will try to escape from any enclosure. This issue is compounded when they are bored. We require a minimum six foot secure fence with gates reinforced to prevent digging out.
- Cats: Most huskies are not safe with cats or other small animals (birds, etc). If the adoptable husky has experience living with cats or other animals, it will say so in the bio.